8 Weeks Before Your Move
- Budget for moving expenses.
- Create a "move file" to keep track of quotes, receipts and other important information.
7 Weeks Before Your Move
- Start compiling medical, dental, shot and prescription records.
- Ask doctors for referrals in your new city.
- Arrange to have school records and veterinarian records transferred.
- Gather copies of legal and financial records.
- Call your insurance agent to see what changes you need to make to your new policy.
6 Weeks Before Your Move
- Plan how you will move valuables and difficult to replace items (certified mail, or carry them with you).
- Begin purging your home. Separate items into those you will keep, donate or discard.
- Plan a garage sale.
- Start using items that can't be moved such as frozen foods, bleach, and aerosols.
5 Weeks Before Your Move
- Purchase or obtain boxes and moving cartons / containers
- Begin packing items you don't use often.
- Clearly label each box with its contents and the room it is destined for.
4 Weeks Before Your Move
- Reserve your moving truck and / or confirm moving company
- File a change of address with the Postal Service, or ask them to hold your mail at the post office in your new city.
Notify these utility services of your move (both at your old and new locations)
- Gas / Terasyn Gas
- Cell phone
- Cable/Satellite and Internet
- Electric / BC Hydro
- Trash Collection if required
Host a garage sale. Call Charity Organizations for pick-up of donations.
3 Weeks Before Your Move
- Make travel arrangements for your pets.
- Contact your Lawyer to arrange appointment for Closing Documents
- Contact your Realtor to confirm everything is on track
- Confirm timing with family and friends who are helping on moving day
- Confirm travel arrangements for pets and family.
- Plan meals for the last weeks to use up your food.
- Assemble a folder of important info about your house for the next home owner.
2 Weeks Before Your Move
Notify these professional services of your move:
- Financial Planner
- Health Insurance Provider
- Insurance Agent
- Schools - Request records and transcripts
Notify these services/accounts of your move:
- Bank/Credit Union/Finance Companies
- Credit Card Companies
- Health Club
- Home care service providers (lawn, exterminator, snow removal etc.)
- Monthly memberships (Nexflix, book of the month, etc.)
Notify these government offices of your move:
- City/County Tax Assessor
- Provincial Motor Vehicle Registration
- Social Security / Care Card
- Veterans Affairs
1 Week Before Your Move
- Review plans with your Move Management professional and your Realtor.
- Pack an essentials box to keep with you during the move.
- Drain gas and oil from lawn equipment, gas grills, heaters, etc.
- Measure furniture and doorways to determine if larger pieces will fit through the door.
- Empty and defrost refrigerator at least 24 hours before the move.
- Fill any prescriptions you will need during the move.
- Be sure to eat a good breakfast and pack water and snacks for the day.
- Place carpet, floor and door frame protectors throughout your home. Be prepared to supervise and direct hired helpers.
- Load goods in a pre-designated order, saving "last load" items for the rear of your shipment.
- Check every room and closet, clothes washer and dish washer one last time to make sure nothing is left behind.
- Leave a note with your new address so that future residents can forward stray mail.
- Pass your keys to the new owner / Realtor with a sigh of relief.
You are on your way to your new home…with memories of this one you are leaving behind!